Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day Eight of Vacation 2011: First Nations Museum and Granville Island

August 7
   This morning we had breakfast and found out that a British couple we met last night at the fireworks are staying at our B&B!  Small world.  We're currently at the UBC First Nations Anthropology museum.  It's full of totem poles and First Nations art.  I'm sitting outside by the pond that reflects the sky.  It reminds me of the pools in Howls Moving Castle, sort of fantastical and lovely.  I love the water here in Canada.  Even the ocean has incredibly clear water.



   After we left the museum we ate lunch at one of Ginny's favorite Italian delicatessens, then we walked to Granville Island, with is a shopping district.  I was admiring a simple red dress made out of this stretchy material, then I glanced at the price -- $285 -- and I backed away slowly.  Fancy stores intimidate me.  I used to think I hated shopping, but now, though it's still not my favorite thing to do, I enjoy going to thrift stores and places I feel I can afford something.  Upscale stores have the aura of a museum to me, a sort of look-but-don't-touch feeling and a pray-you-don't-break-anything aftertaste.  Needless to say, Granville Island was not my type of place.  We took a False Creek Ferry (a tiny little boat!) back toward our B&B, then Mom, Ginny, and I marched back down to the beach in our bathing suits.  It was cold and rocky, but fun.  We lounged for a bit, reading on the beach.  It stays sunny so late here!  We left the beach at 7:30, when the sun was just starting to lose its warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment