Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day One of Vacation 2011: Seattle


July 31
     The flight was smooth and uneventful.  Once we soared above the clouds and the sunlight bounced off the top of the cloud layer, I leaned on mom's shoulder and fell asleep.  When we landed in Seattle it was overcast and drizzly.  Ginny braided my hair while we waited for the rental car.
     I love visiting Aunt Caity's house.  I love all the green vegetation that flourishes in Seattle, and the beautiful houses on Capitol hill with their round windows and arched doorways.  Caity's house fits right in -- it's grand but not imposing, with large windows and Victorian ceilings.  But if the hard-wood floors and sweeping doorways are a little daunting, the reception was lovely.  Caity greeted us with her warm, bubbly love, and William (tall as ever) was an unusual but welcome sight (he's so busy we rarely see him).  But the biggest surprise was Karinna.  At first I didn't recognize her; she's tall and slender with the stylish, self-aware clothes of a teenager.
     We ate lunch and chatted, all relaxing over a large meal, then all the ladies went out to bookstores in downtown Seattle.  I was in heaven.  I love the smell of books when they surround me, the aura of those worn, well-loved pages.  The sun came out during our time in the bookstore, and I skipped down the sidewalk to the car.
Mom, Aunt Caity, Ginny, and Karinna walking from a bookstore in Seattle
I bought an old edition of David Copperfield.  It has a book jacket :D

No comments:

Post a Comment